Anyone heard of the Doctrine of Signatures?
Well basically it dates back of 2 ancient Greek physicians (Dioscorides and Galen) who stated that herbs and plants that resemble parts of the body which are useful in actually treating those specific parts, or keeping them healthy.
So here is a ‘mini’ list of what some of these plants/ vegetables are:
- Tomatoes – when you cut up a tomato, it resembles the 4 chambers of the heart, and it is red. Tomatoes are known to be full of lycopene and so these are definitely great for the heart and blood!
- Walnuts – pretty sure most of you already know what the walnut looks like – yes the brain! So yes it is great food to stimulate and keep the brain healthy!
- Celery, Bok Choy, Rhubarb and many more look like our bones. Did you know that our bones are 23% sodium and these foods are also 23% sodium?? That’s so cool!! So if you want stronger bones then get stuck into these foods!
- Avocadoes, Eggplant and Pears – what do these look like? Yes, the womb! So they target womens reproductive system. It helps to balance hormones for women (especially eating avocados just once a week) Fun fact: it takes exactly 9 months to grow and avocado from blossom to ripened fruit!!
- Sweet Potatoes – looks like the pancreas and guess what it does? It actually helps to balance the Glycaemic Index especially for diabetics, and people with Insulin resistance.
- Olives – help the health and functioning of the ovaries
- Oranges and Grapefruit – look just like the Mammary glands - so they are great for the health of the breasts and for moving lymph in and out of the breasts!!
- Figs – these have lots of seeds and hang in 2’s. So you guessed it they look like men’s testicles. Figs are amazing food to increase the mobility and number of sperm.
- Grapes – grapes grow in clusters and resemble the shape of the heart. Each singular grape looks like a blood cell and research has shown how grapes are great for heart and blood too.
- Kidney beans – by the name and shape of these, you guessed which part of the body this provides nourishment to! Kidney beans heal and help maintain kidney function.
So there you have it, this is but SOME of the amazing doctrine of signatures. So next time you eat a fruit, vegetable or herb, just look at what it resembles and know that you are feeding that particular part of your body just by eating it!
What are some of the fruits, vegetables and herbs that you have on a daily basis to nourish your body?
Would love you to share! xxx