Peach and Apple slice
2 small pink lady apples (or any other red apple) – cut into wedged slices (not too thin)
2 yellow flesh peaches (cut into wedged slices – not too thin)
2/3 cup of maple syrup
1 1/2 cups of rolled oats
2 1/2 cups of almond meal
1/2 cup of barley flour
1 1/2 tsps of baking powder (aluminium free)
3 tbsps of unsweetened apricot jam
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp of extra virgin coconut oil
3 tsps of vanilla essence
1/2 tsp of almond extract
Preheat the oven to 180C. Prepare a 23cm x 23cm cake tin by lining with baking paper and lightly spraying with olive oil.
1. In a frying pan, add the 1 tbsp of coconut oil . Add the apples and cook for a few minutes until the fruits begin to brown slightly in parts. Add in 1 tbsp of the maple syrup and 2 tsps of the vanilla essence. Add the peaches in next and cook for a further 8-10 mins or until apples and peaches are soft but not falling apart.
2. Meanwhile in a food processor, add in the rolled oats and blend until fine. Put this in a bowl and add almond meal, barley flour and baking powder.
3. In a separate bowl whisk the remainder of the maple syrup, 1 tsp of vanilla, olive oil and almond extract together. Pour this into the flour mixture in Step 2. Mix well then pour into prepared cake tin. Press this mixture into the pan and bake in the oven for 15 mins. Remove from the oven.
4. Meanwhile prepare the apricot glaze. Put the jam in a small pan and stir until melted. Remove from heat.
5. Arrange the apples and peaches into rows over the baked pastry mixture and press them in slightly. Brush the apricot glaze over it. Put back in oven for a further 20-25 mins or till the edges are a beautiful golden brown.